Pages

Friday, 7 August 2026

Modelbau POST Cassette.

 


It is certainly a busy summer for Modelbau with a plethora of releases and live performances. The other day I received a copy of "POST", a C15 cassette on the Canadian Vacancy Recs label. As I catalogued it and filed the cassette away I realised I had about 90 Modelbau releases on various formats. I don't think I have that many releases by any other artist / project in my collection. It was back in 2015 when I dipped my ears towards the analog sound of Frans de Waard's Modelbau and have been hooked since that day. Back in 2015 Modelbau were releasing a series of sounds all alphabetically titled. I came in at "Cataract", a cassette on the mighty Licht-Ung label, then came "Do Without" on Maneki Neko Tapes. 

Frans wrote a rather marvellous book called "X" which he published on his Korm Plastics Vanity Series. It covers the first 10 years of Modelbau. The book also includes a CD. The book is well sold out but the CD is available as a (pay what you want) download at:
 

POST is the second release for Modelbau on Vacancy Recs. In 2021 they released "Bienenkorb" a two track C90 limited to 26 copies (one for each letter of the alphabet). "POST" is also limited to 26 copies. I like Modelbau on cassette, for me it is my preferred format for listening to Modelbau. (that and the 7" vinyl of course). POST. 2 tracks on an old German 'Computer World' cassette. Side A is "A Prayer", a very meditative affair with Rin Gongs and Temple Bells gently creating the atmosphere, delicately looped and treated. These sounds increase towards a 'fade out' end with the sound of water(s) and disguised chords of flutes and keys and birdsong. It brings to (my) mind the sound of This Heat. 
Side B is simply called "B Side" and travels faster, it is a lot busier with ascension type electronics all swirling and travelling upwards building with static radio waves which surround the (re) intro and brings in the underground sound of the Rin Gongs and Temple Bells before crumbling to an echoed halt as if it is too tired to proceed.

two fantastic journeys. https://vacancyniagara.bandcamp.com/album/post-vac-085 for a copy (either physical or digital). It maybe worth buying a few releases (thinking of postage costs), Vacancy Recs have also great releases by Sick Days, Murmur and Club Social available. 

Modelbau also have a CDR on the mighty Licht-Ung available, called "Roestig". 9 pieces recorded in 2023 and finally mixed in 2025. There are also 2 CDs recently released "The End Of The Continuum" on Lumberton Trading Company and "Muster" on the Drone Records subsidiary label Sym. 

You can contact Modelbau / Frans de Waard via: https://fransdewaard.com



No comments:

Post a Comment