Saturday 6 July 2019

MuhMur Radio Broadcast 04 July 2019.


A few weeks ago I was listening to the rather excellent broadcast The Institute Of Spectra-Sonic Sound which comes out of Eugene Oregon and I heard an amazing piece by Juice Machine, one thing lead to another and started hunting down Juice Machine releases - mainly cassettes - and this brought me in to the orbit of Andrew Quitter who released a split tape with Juice Machine as well as a split tape with Chefkirk. Chefkirk are a project featuring Juice Machine members.
All these projects are based in Eugene Oregon. I started a correspondence with Andrew and he sent me a parcel of amazing sounds. Apart from producing solo material under his own name Andrew records and performs as Regosphere and operates the DumpsterScore label.

                                                                  Andrew Quitter.

The opening piece of this broadcast is by Andrew Quitter and Nick Hoffman, it is from the cassette album "Aptheosis Putrefactum" released by Weird Ear in 2016. Nick also operates a label called Pilgrim Talk. The cassette is still available from the label. https://weirdearrecords.bandcamp.com or contact Andrew direct : http://www.dumpsterscore.org

                                                                    Nick Hoffman.

The broadcast closes with a solo Quitter piece "Cenobite". This is from the 4-Track EP "Kill Your Parents". I have a cassette version but it is available for downloading (if that's your bag) from the DumpsterScore website.
I don't usually play Dieter Müh tracks on MuhMur Radio, but after Dome I thought I would spin the Muh tribute to Dome taken from the "Eponymous" album. On this track we manipulated a Dome rhythm and I try whispered voices a la Graham Lewis underneath a (I think ... memory fails) How to speak Balinese tape. When Dome collaborated with Daniel Miller of Mute they became Duet Emmo so this track was called "Dumhome". "Eponymous" was originally released on CDR via the French Naninani label, this track is lifted from 2017 vinyl re-issue on the Ukranian Sentimental Productions label.
The Grey Frequency piece is from the "Ufology" cassette album, one of my favourite releases of 2019 (so far).
I am uncertain about the Otto Muehl 7" single "Psycho-Motorik Musik". I can't remember where I got it from.


Listed as unofficial on Discogs I imagine it features cuts / excerpts from the 1971 LP of the same name. I like the fact that the LP was not to be sold to anyone under 21 when it originally released. It reminds of a boy I knew at school who thought he couldn't by an album by The Stranglers because it was called "X Cert" and he was under 18.


The Hunting Lodge track is from their fourth LP "Nomad Souls". Originally released in 1984 on their own S/M Operatons label this piece is from the 1985 UK re-issue on Side Effekts Records. "Nomad Souls" is one of my favourite albums from the '80s and around this time Side Effekts Records were putting out great records by S.P.K. Lustmord and Gerechtigkeits Liga.
One of the greatest live performances I have ever witnessed was Dave Phillips at The Arnolfini in Bristol in 2012. Performing in total darkness (blacker than black) Dave produced a sense of ecstasy, paranoia and fear through voice and electricity. In Bristol I remember the sounds of insects began the performance and he had folk move around whispering and bumping in to people (it was very dark) and then a 20 minute sound of ... well, very close to what can be heard on this piece. It all ended with bursting of a hundred or so balloons and with Dave stood on a table in the middle of the room as the lights came up. It was almost a religious experience.


"dp Live Action 171214" is from the split tape with Tiny Tramp and available on the Belgian label Thirdtypetapes. https://thirdtypetapes.bandcamp.com/album/ttt28-tiny-tramp-dave-phillips-171214
The cassette version is sold out but you can download it (if that's your bag) at a 'name your price' fee.

The last weekend of June I spent travelling the secondhand record shops and record fairs along the South East Coast of East Sussex and Kent. I can thoroughly recommend 'Wow & Flutter' in Hastings (Dieter Müh CDs for £4 a pop), 'Platform One' in Bexhill-On-Sea (run by a chap who used to play bass in The Bevis Frond) and a shop in Eastbourne whose name I forget, but it was a basement in an antique shop that smelled of mildew and rat piss. In this shop I managed to get a green vinyl bootleg copy of Coil's "Unnatural History" LP. Over the days I planned to meet some old friends, one of which was Simon from Bourbonese Qualk. Unfortunately Simon had to go to Huddersfield (late call) so I thought I would spin some Qualk. The pieces here are from "The Spike" album and recorded live at Bloomsbury Theatre, London in January/February 1985.


I did get to meet and drink with a few old friends including Phil Sanderson who kindly gave me a CDR of Storm Bugs and solo rarities, expect to be hearing that over the coming broadcasts.

"On This Day" July 4 1980 and Comsat Angels release "Independence Day" (of course they did)! It was re-released on July 4 in 1984 on Jive Records too. The Comsat Angels were (to me) one of those bands that peaked before their first album was released. Their first EP came out in 1979 and was Junta Records a label distributed by Lincoln's Company Records. One of their first gigs was at Lincoln Art College where I was in a band who were bottom of the bill - I was doing sound mixing/gear humping at the time for the New Wave trio Collide - also on the bill were X-S Energy and The Piranhas were headlining. I don't remember much about the evening but I do remember The Comsat Angels all dressed in Chinese Red Army uniforms and it looking quite impressive. Strangely enough this was at the same time Bill Nelson and his Red Noise project had the same image.
Another great record I managed to grab whilst in the Sussex area was a copy of "Solid Gold" the second LP by Gang Of Four. I have a Yugoslavian pressing the lists the track "Cheeseburger" as "Cheese Burger". Some folk find that interesting.

Please take a listen : https://www.mixcloud.com/muhsteve/muhmur-radio-soundart-radio-broadcast-july-04-2019/

Playlist:
01: Andrew Quitter & Nick Hoffman : "The Tower" (Weird Ear) 2016.
02: Dome : "And Then" (The Grey Area) 1992.
03: Dieter Müh : "Dumhome" (Sentimental Productions) 2017.
04: Grey Frequency : "The Cosford Incident" (Grey Frequency) 2019.
05: Raison D'Etre + Troum : "Epȏdós" (Transgredient Records) 2017.
06: Vance Orchestra : "Monstrance 1" (Dachstuhl) 2001.
07: Otto Muehl : "Psycho-Motorik/Musik (Excerpt)" (Play Naked) 2005.
08: Regosphere : "Death, Like A Thief" (Obfuscated Records/Phage Tapes/DumpsterScore) 2013.
09: Hunting Lodge : "God Loves The Rock Stars" (Side Effekts Records) 1985.
10: Dave Phillips : "dp Live Action 171214" (Thirdtypetapes) 2019.
11: Bourbonese Qualk : "Call To Arms" (Dossier Records) 1985.
12: Bourbonese Qualk : "Frontline" (Dossier Records) 1985.
13: Bourbonese Qualk : "Spanner In The Works" (Dossier Records) 1985.
14: Bourbonese Qualk : "In-Flux" (Dossier Records) 1985.
15: Bourbonese Qualk : "Deadbeat" (Dossier Records) 1985.
16: The Comsat Angels : "Independence Day" (Polydor Records) 1980.
17: Gang Of Four : "Cheese Burger" (Jugoton/EMI Records) 1981.
18: Robert Turman : "Flux #1" (Spectrum Spools) 2019.
19: Andrew Quitter : "Cenobite" (DumpsterScore) 2018.

The next broadcast will be at 20:00 GMT on July 18. Pleased to have your ears.

Here's a picture of myself and Jason Williams (Deepkiss 720/Mothers Of the Third Reich) trying to recreate the 20 Jazz Funk Greats cover on Beachy Head last Saturday ...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Chris Cross

                                                         Billy, Robin, John, Chris & Warren. I have said it before and I'll say it a...