Saturday 10 November 2018

MuhMur Radio Broadcast 08 November 2018.

Firstly I will apologise for not posting on this blog after the 25th of October broadcast. I was planning to and then it all (as in life) got a little hectic and before I could catch myself coming the other way I was having a weekend break in Hastings and the East Sussex coast. So I apologise.
Here is the link to the broadcast (25:10:18) - https://www.mixcloud.com/muhsteve/muhmur-radio-soundart-radio-broadcast-25102018/
The start of the broadcast has a sneak preview of the upcoming Maze + Lindholm album "Where The Wolf Has Been Seen" released on 16:11 by Aurora Borealis.

                                                                 Maze & Lindholm.

The rest of the programme has some Of Habit & Dane Law, Pisse, Thomas Leer and EXTNDDNTWRK amongst others, the track listing is on the MixCloud page. If you have any questions about what you're hearing please don't hesitate to get in touch. And so on to last Thursdays broadcast.
The programme begins with a 45 minute track from Modelbau. Side A of the cassette "Ypsilon". 'Yesterday Afternoon' is dedicated to the memory of Dmitry Vasilyev. Dmitry ran the Monochrome Vision label and sadly passed away in the summer. "Ypsilon" is released as cassette or double CD. Available here : https://zhelezobeton.bandcamp.com/album/ypsilon

                                                                       'Ypsilon'.

Whilst away in Hastings I chanced upon a great secondhand record shop called Wow & Flutter and managed to pick up some great records. Tod Dockstader 10" being one of them. This is my first hearing of Dockstader's work and it's a remix by Mordant Music (aka Baron Mordant). Dockstader produced long pieces of musique-concret starting in the early 1960's. His library seems to be available on the Belgian Sub Rosa label. Strangely enough (and coincidently) later in the day I was chatting with Danny Gromflin who used to live in Arlington Massachusetts and cycle pass Tod's house every day but never got up enough courage to knock on the door and say "Hi".
This month saw the release of a brace of 45's on the I Dischi Del Barone label. Monokultur being one of those. I also managed to pick up a copy of the Leda single released in the summer. Two fine cuts of the Swedish underground.

                                                                     Monokultur.

In 1987 I was living in Manchester. Hulme, Manchester and I was buying my sounds from Piccadilly Records and a stall on the top floor of Affleck's Palace that later became Eastern Bloc Records. (There were there shops too, but these were the main outlets I remember). At the time I was buying 'Industrial' stuff and On-U Sound records ... travelling the length and breadth of the country to go and see Gary Clail's On-U Sound System! The Manchester music 'scene' had taken a turn for the worse with bands like Stone Roses and Happy Mondays being the talk of the town (or Hacienda). Factory Records were more or less dead in the water. It's why I didn't pay much attention to Biting Tongues. There were chances to go and see them at Band On The Wall or The Boardwalk but ... they were a Factory Records band so what was the point. It was only a few years later that I found out that Graham Massey was a member and as we all know Graham was Danny & The Dressmakers. Graham also went on to join 808 State who (at the beginning) weren't that bad. I saw them a few times in 1988 .. all dry ice and dungarees .. but they were good nights out. Anyway. Back in Wow & Flutter I saw the Biting Tongues 12"EP for a fiver and thought it worthy of a punt. It's really good, I can here the 808 state connection in composition, it has a great vibrant sound. I am now on the look out for more Biting Tongues. I may have seen them live in 1999 supporting Crispy Ambulance at The Band On The Wall, it was a jazz fusion type band with Graham Massey playing guitar ...

                                                          Biting Tongues 'Compressor'.

Please take a listen to the broadcast here :
https://www.mixcloud.com/muhsteve/muhmur-radio-soundart-radio-broadcast-08-november-2018/

Playlist :
01: Modelbau : "Yesterday Afternoon" (Zhelezobeton) 2018.
02: Throbbing Gristle : "Distant Dreams (Part Two)" (Industrial Records) 1980.
03: Tod Dockstader : "Bellstomp/Pond Dance (ReMMix By Mordant Music)" (Mordant Music) 2012.
04: Sudden Infant : "Hong Kong Nursery" (Harbinger Sound) 2018.
05: Monokultur : "Äckel" (I Dischi Del Barone) 2018.
06: Eyeless In Gaza : "Taking Steps" (Cherry Red Records) 1982.
07: Leda : "The Silent Contest" (I Dischi Del Barone) 2018.
08: Pink Military : "After Hiroshima" (Eric's) 1098.
09: Biting Tongues : "Compressor" (Factory Records) 1987.
10: MyTrip : "I Am Mud" (Depressive Illusions Records) 2011.
11: Ulex Xane : "Farewell To Matters Of Principle" (Cipher Productions) 2018.
12: Sudden Infant : "Tourists" (Harbinger Sound) 2018.

The next broadcast will be on November 22 at 20:00 hours GMT.
And for those wondering who Danny Gromflin is : https://www.discogs.com/artist/3068739-Danny-Gromfin

                                                         Myself, Danny + Linea.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Chris Cross

                                                         Billy, Robin, John, Chris & Warren. I have said it before and I'll say it a...