Sunday 14 May 2023

The Sunday Post


 Prayers Answered. I woke up this morning to the sound of someone knocking on the door ... 9 a.m. on a Sunday! I was going to ignore the phantom knocker, luckily I didn't as it was the postman. The postman on a Sunday. Never before have I known the post being delivered on a Sunday (probably once or twice when Christmas Day was a Monday, and those cards needed to be delivered but I couldn't swear on that). 

What the postman delivered was the LP "Aylesbury Goes Flaccid". Flaccid Records 1978. It's a beauty, it's a classic. File under New Wave / Pub Rock / Power Pop. It has a track from the mighty Vice Creems who I think are the trio on the back cover. (Please correct me if I'm wrong). 


The album also has a track by Anal Surgeons. Anal Surgeons also have a track on the great "Back To Sing Again For Free ... Soon" compilation cassette on Fuck Off Records (1979). Their track here is the great 'Wide Boy'. The album also has great tracks by The Robins, Peter Out & The Faders, The Speedos, The Man Ezeke and Abbott. Not too sure about Clumsy, Smiffy and Robert & The Remoulds but the LP is a great listen. I have no affiliation to Aylesbury, back in September 1979 I did spend a few days there staying with an old school friend. The main reason was to see Gary Numan on his 'The Touring Principle' tour at Aylesbury Friars (supported by Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark), we spent evenings in The Green Man the local haunt for punks at the time. The Green Man had a jukebox chart that featured in the 'ZigZag' magazine. Kris Needs of 'ZigZag' was also in Vice Creems. Mick Sinclair (a member of Vice Creems and Anal Surgeons) also wrote for ZigZag. 

I do like a compilation album and I do like a 'site specific' compilation album. "East" is a great collection of Lincoln bands from the late 1970's with The Cigarettes, Half Life, Whizz Kids and Pseudo Editors amongst others. Then there's 'Household Shocks' concentrating on North Lincolnshire groups. "Where The Hell Is Leicester", "A Manchester Collection", "Unzipping The Abstract" (Manchester), "Bouquet Of Steel" (Sheffield and surround), "Is The War Over?" (Cardiff), "Avon Calling" (Bristol), "Vaultage '78" (Brighton), "Street To Street" (Liverpool), "Logical Steps" (Doncaster and surround). I am certain there's more but these are the ones that come to me off the top of my head. 

Expect to hear one or two tracks from "Aylesbury Goes Flaccid" in the coming months on MuhMur Radio.



No comments:

Post a Comment

From The Archives #6 John Duncan.

  I have spent the last few days compiling a playlist for the next MuhMur Radio Broadcast, I have decided to make it a 'touchcentric'...