Sunday 12 November 2023

Joke Lanz in Cardiff

 


Away from Sudden Infant and away from his turntables Joke Lanz takes time out to tour the United Kingdom with his "Noise In My Head" tour. Leaving the comfort of my seaside hutch and risking my sanity by travelling on CrossCountry trains I made my way to Cardiff. 60 years old ... and I've never been to Cardiff. I have hardly been to Wales. A night in a hotel in Fishguard on the way back from Dublin in 2003 and Futurama 4 in Queensferry (is that really in Wales?) back in 1983. So this year ends in a '3', I thought it to be tradition to go. 

The evening was at a venue called Shift. Shift is an art space beneath the Capitol Shopping Centre on Queen Street. It's a great space and quite unexpected ... beneath a cathedral of capitalism that is  ....           The venue reminded me of KAARST Gallery in Plymouth, similar white walls, random pillars, work in. progress art spread around the floorspace. A great venue despite there being no bar or toilets. (Bring your own booze and bucket). 


 Tonight there were three performances, the first by a local duo called Lightning In A Bottle. Freestyle jazz  drumming over improv. guitar. Loud. The guitarist reminded me of Jason Williams so I thought about Jason and how I hadn't seen him in years ... not since our day out on Beachy Head ... I miss Jase (ah well). I don't know how long L.I.A.B. played for, but for me it was too long. Simon Whetham followed. Simon deals with field recordings, found sounds, contouring sounds from everyday objects to create space and sonics. A fascinating intricate performance, delicate and precise. there was lots of space for manoeuvre and to think where the next sound(s) would come from. Think Cheapmachines / Phil Julian, think John Wiese, think Mark Durgan or Andrea Borghi, Simon is working in that area. Simon also filmed what was happening on his table of elements. A great visual. I have seen this 'done' before by Grey Park when they played at the Malmitalo in Helsinki back in 2011 .. it's a great idea.




 As mentioned, Joke is in the UK to promote his noises that are in his head. Thirty (+) years of noise compacted in to a journey with the use of microphones, samples, noise boxes, foot theremin and devices that made me think ... how the fuck and where the fuck did that noise come from. Rounded with poetry, politeness, a tandoori chicken scooter and (as always with Joke) great humour. 


Dressed as a ringmaster, a macabre master of ceremony the audience was held, there were dancers, head nodders and fist pumpers amongst the crowd, it was a delight to see. The venue suited the performance, Joke was part of the audience. Personal and intimate and the best gig I have seen in years. All credit to the sound man (the sound was brilliant) and the lights. Shift has great acoustics. 
I have known Joke for a few years now. It is always a pleasure to meet, chat and learn about the noises that are in his head .... 


Seeing (being), being (seeing) that this was my first trip / visit to Cardiff I spent the following day looking at record shops in the City. Forget the castle, museum of Welsh history and a trip to see the Royal Mint, I want vinyl. Cardiff City has two shops, both very poor so I took a long walk out to Roath to visit D'Vinyl. The shop is like a shop of old .. piles of VHS / DVDs and crates of records ... a lot of rock and pop and the new wave boxes are full of Boomtown Rats and Toyah. I did manage to find a B Movie (promo) 12" and a copy of The Transmitters "24 Hours" album so I left happy. Only six pounds down, I had to find Record Exchange. Heath is about a 40 minute walk from Roath. The Record Exchange turned out to be a goldmine and probably the only reason I'd visit Cardiff again ... that and if Shift booked Dieter Müh to play live and installed a toilet (!). There's great new wave / punk / electronic / avant garde / minimalist sections in both 12" and 7" sections. I managed to pick up albums by Deep Freeze Mice and Renaldo & The Loaf and singles by Home Service and ...And The Native Hipsters and the owner (Ed) rounded the price down. Lovely chap. 

                                                                          Joke's set up.

If this tour is coming near you. GO!



 

 





1 comment:

  1. Another artist new to me - I shall look up Joke! Looks like you had a fun time in Cardiff - not a place I've ever gigged in either, a good review :)

    ReplyDelete

MuhMur Radio Broadcast #267 (The Anti Group).

  The next MuhMur Radio Broadcast will be on April 28 starting at 18:00 GMT. It's a 4 Hour programme featuring the sound art of Adi Newt...